The Equest Farm Riding Academy provides a safe and wholesome environment for beginner through advanced riders. The riding program has been carefully designed to progress riders through a structured curriculum, providing consistent step-by-step instruction across the program. An ongoing evaluation of the student's abilities allows for advancement at an individualized pace. Through this program students are able to develop into competitive riders, building confidence, motivation, discipline, coordination, focus and camaraderie, while still having fun and developing a compassionate bond with horses.
Along with riding skills, the riding school program incorporates safety procedures throughout the lessons. Safety at all times is our first priority.
Factors such as age, coordination, strength, frequency of lessons and attention span will impact students' advancement. Progress is best achieved through riding consistently; we recommend riding at least once a week regularly for best results.
Regular lessons are offered for ages 6 and up.
All students of age or parents must read and sign the Equest Policies and Procedures document. Please bring the signed document to the Equest farm office.
- 0. First lesson, little to no experience with horses
- 1. Able to steer, learning to trot
- 2. Trotting, able to ride with a group
- 3. Learning different riding positions, trotting poles
- 4. Learning to trot crossrails
- 5. Riding without stirrups; able to jump a course of crossrails
- 6. Learning to canter
- 7. Able to canter confidently, cantering poles
- 8. Cantering crossrails
- 9. Cantering crossrails and small verticals
- 10. Jumping 18" courses
- 11. Jumping 2'-0" to 2'-3" courses
- 12. Jumping 2'-6" courses, able to ride green horses
Note: Our school horses jump up to 2'-6". If you wish to continue jumping higher, or would like to begin ownership at any time, we also offer our services in finding the best horse for you to own!